- 4 slices bacon, cut into small pieces
- 2 carrots, chopped
- half of a yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon 1 tablespoon arrowroot
- 4 cups organic chicken broth (add more to thin out the soup at the end as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 28-ounce can organic whole tomatoes
- Fry the bacon in a large soup pot over medium low heat until crispy and browned, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the carrots, onion, and garlic to the bacon in the pan; saute for 5-10 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the tomato paste, add the arrowroot and stir.
- Pour the tomatoes and their juice into a bowl and crush them with your hands. Add the broth, thyme, bay leaf, and tomatoes to the soup pot. Simmer for 30 minutes. Puree in batches and return to the pot. I like to remove the bay leaf and blend with an immersion blender
Creamy Broccoli Soup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1/3 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp arrowroot
- 1 1/4-1 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 cup coconut milk (I like full fat)
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- *I like to roast an additional 1 cup of brccoli in avocado oil for flavor
- In a medium saucepan, heat over medium heat. Add the broccoli, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Sauté until onion is translucent and just tender.
- Sprinkle vegetables with 3 tbsp arrowroot. Stir and cook for at least 1 minute. Whisk in the vegetable broth. The soup should thicken as you stir. Whisk in the unsweetened coconut milk, and the nutritional yeast. Simmer over medium heat for at least 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender. Purée the soup to your liking. If you prefer a chunkier soup, lightly blend on a slow speed. I prefer to blend 1/2 to 2/3 of the soup until smooth and mix it with the remaining chunkier soup.
Butternut Squash Soup
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 pounds butternut squash peeled, seeds removed and cubed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium high heat and add in the onion and garlic and stir to coat with the olive oil. Allow to cook for about 3 minutes, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add butternut squash, stir to combine, and sauté for about 7 minutes until the onions become translucent.
- Add in the salt, pepper, thyme, vegetable broth, almond milk, stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes, until the squash becomes fork tender.
- Remove from heat. Pour the soup into a large blender. Now add the lime juice into the blender. Blend in a blender until creamy and smooth. OR, you can use an immersion blender and puree the soup ingredients until combined and smooth.
- I love a dash of nutmeg and cinnamon on top! Eric likes crushed red pepper on top of his...